Diff breathers

Shiv

Forum Member
Hey guys,

Looking to upgrade the factory diff breathers on my Outback.

Is there any particular type of diff breather I want to look for? Are they model specific or will a generic one fit?

I've had a bit of a read around here and seen some install instructions. Just curious as to which ones / where to get them from.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

My breather "extensions" are simply plastic tubing with small plastic fuel filters on the end. No need to buy a kit.

Has anyone had probs with the breather hose funneling oil up the hose & out the end? Have heard the trick is not to let the hose loop down, kinda creates an "S" bend like in the loo so the diff sucks in air through the seals cos of the increased resistance in the hose :shrug:

The only problem I've seen is a hot diff and a car stalling in water, as the diff cooled down it sucked in water. You just need to raise the hoses above a functional water line.

Looking to upgrade the factory diff breathers on my Outback.

Is there any particular type of diff breather I want to look for? Are they model specific or will a generic one fit?
I've done/helped with a few diff breather mods for various people (say 10+ at last count) with various models of Subaru & so far I have used the same diff breather cap for each & every one :iconwink:
Some of the models include the 2.0ltr & 2.5ltr Forry (1998-2007 N/A & XT) & the 2.5ltr & 3.0ltr OB's (2000 & onwards)

My breather "extensions" are simply plastic tubing with small plastic fuel filters on the end. No need to buy a kit.
I've done the same, but without the filters & so far so good. No problems whatsoever :ebiggrin:

Like nipper says, you just need the extension tube above a functional water line.
Mine finishes above the rear strut cavity at about the height of the top of the seat belt :cool:
So lets just say that if it does get water in at that height, then I'd be in real trouble :lol:

Hope this helps :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

Thanks for the write up and the links very useful.

The breather cap, how does it breathe if it is solid and forced on?

Search summitracing.com or diffbreathers.com.au for "differential breather" - several styles and applications available...

HTH

The breather cap actually has a small cut-out in it near the top.
The outer cap that sits on top just hides it from view :cool:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Back