SF 1.447 Low Range Into an SG

BeeJ

Forum Member
Hey Guys,

Basically I'm looking to do exactly what the title says. I have seen a fair bit of talk about it but no dedicated threads or step by step info on how to do it.

I intend to do this if what I have read previously is true...

Questions
Can the SF manual dual range gearbox swap straight into an dual range SG?

I have heard diff ratios are different between SF and SG, do they have to be changed? Does that mean I have to loose a SG vLSD to swap for an open SF?

If this is the case sounds like swapping just the low range is a better option, how hard is this? Is it a direct swap?

Has anyone done this who can give me some feedback and advice?

Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance

I think all SG DR box are 1.19:1.

Yes they are.

Now with my 1.44.1 Low range and EJ25 with tune it is pretty unstoppable except for the open diffs.. She had a very good and hard work out over the weekend and it does everything I did before with easy and does so much more!

Is it posible to change the front diff of a dualrange SG box from 4.11 to 4.44???

Yep. You will need the ring and pinion gear to do the job, then reset the diff's preload and backlash.

The low range will be a direct swap - just follow the instructions for the L series low range swap but ignore any of the details about machining parts etc ;)

As the saying goes, it's like lego - all plug and play!

Cheers

Bennie

BUMP

I want to buy a ej20 dual range gearbox from an early model foz.
From what I have seen they are quoted as being 4.44 front diff ratio.
Does this mean it wont work in an SG?

I have had a lot of conflicting info... I just don't want to spend ~$700 on a gearbox that I cant just bolt straight in.

Wreckers who I have spoken to wont even sell me one as soon as they get wind of me putting it into a SG with an ej25

According to the original brochure for the SF:
the 5MT/DR FD = 4.111:1 and
the 4EAT FD = 4.444:1.

The 5MT/DR had a top gear ratio of 0.871:1
The AT had a top gear ratio of 0.694:1.

The FD ratios remained the same for the SG, both MT and AT.
The gearbox ratios changed significantly from SF to SG for 1st, 2nd and 5th, but were identical in 3rd and 4th.

Hi guys.

Finally mi "new" SG arrived for the Offroad Mods.

Its a 2002 JDM SG XT MT I want to put a N/A DR Box.
I need advice about what fozzy year need to choose to take out the gearbox.
I know there are SF´s from 97, i want the 1.44 reduction gearbox, i Heard that N/A SG´s has reduced the DR to 1.2.
Besides what things need to replace also? Axlesahfts?? rear dif??
NOTE: Al the hardware and cars involved are JDM

SF '97-'02 normally aspired, manual gearbox, have a 4,11 diff ratio and a 1,447 dual range.

Yep, SF n/a MT is 4.111 diffs with 1.447:1 LR, 4EAT is 4.44 diffs.

SG has 1.196:1 LR, not sure bout the diffs

Last edited:
Back