Engine sound paranoia

tempo

Forum Member
Does boxer engine sounds different than regular engine (not flat engine) ?
Is this normal sound for Subie flat engine ?
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fveOtYvgtgo"]1998 Subaru Forester AWD Start Up, Engine & In Depth Tour - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Gidday Tempo

Yeah, mate, the boxer donk does sound different ... Just not THAT different ... :(.

Even my '93 Impreza sounded much smoother than that!! Even when stone cold. And it sounded as if someone had left some bolts loose in the sump at times:iconwink: :rotfl:

The engine in your video sounds as if it might be cactus, to me :(.

Both our current Foresters (2006 & 2009) sound hugely quieter than that engine in the video you posted.

The one you posted sounded to me as if it had either serious piston slap, or a turning big end or gudgeon pin bearing; or maybe both; or maybe all of the above ... Sounded very ugly to me ...

As Thunder said, the boxer engine has a low "growl" when pushed, and is a little less smooth sounding at idle than an equivalent straight four engine. However, the actual engine vibration is smoother than a straight four if you put your fingers on it while running (IMO).

I put the noise down to the characteristic sound of any horizontally opposed 4 cylinder motor, plus the added fact that almost all Subaru fours are very over-square (bore is much bigger than the stroke). This latter also causes a characteristically different idle noise, even in straight fours IME (where the straight four is also square or over-square, under-square fours sound different again).

If you sniff around, you will find that horizontally opposed motors are different from straight and V motors in many ways from an engineering and balance perspective.

Tempo,

I am with Ratbag. IMO That engine has a knock in it. The knock really shows up at about 60 seconds on the video when it is first started. You could almost live with it if it went away after 30 seconds or so but that doesn't.

I did about 15k km on an old Reno 16 that had a knock on start up it got progressively worse but even when I sold the car it would stop knocking after the oil was moving (about 30 seconds after cold start).

If you are thinking of buying the car - factor in a replacement motor. If you have bought it put an oil pressure gauge on it and monitor it, IF it is keeping pressure you may get some KM out of it. Just don’t take it to the back roads in case it stops.

I have 2012 Forester. I did not pay attention first month , but just couple days ago i heard noise from engine On the background of all valve injectors pumps bearing tickles and bells i can hear low "tu tu tu" Sometimes its disappear but after good ride when enging hot i can hear that In cab i cant hear nothing Noise coming from passenger side
I thought its might be boxer engine louder ?
If sombody has same engine can you just put here how your engine sound pleases?

Tempo,
Put a video up of the noise and describe the situation when it occurs. It could be a number of things ranging from normal to serious.

There are a gazillion questions to ask most of which can be sorted with a video.

The questions start with Manual or Auto, Km on Car, noise while driving or stationary, rpm when noise is loudest, does it change on acceleration or deceleration etc etc,

G'day again Tempo

I have 2012 Forester. I did not pay attention first month , but just couple days ago i heard noise from engine On the background of all valve injectors pumps bearing tickles and bells i can hear low "tu tu tu" Sometimes its disappear but after good ride when enging hot i can hear that In cab i cant hear nothing Noise coming from passenger side
I thought its might be boxer engine louder ?
If sombody has same engine can you just put here how your engine sound pleases?

A couple of things ... :iconwink:

Sounds like you have my good lady wife's problem - she is always hearing noises in her car (we have been married over 30 years ... ). The only time it was significant was when her VW removed the centre from its clutch plate ... :lol:

If you want to hear what an engine is doing inside, you can use a big screwdriver as a stethoscope (I actually have an engine stethoscope somewhere. Just a normal stethoscope like doctors use, with a long metal probe instead of the drum/trumpet on a medical one). While holding the blade firmly against the engine near the part, with the handle pressed hard up against your ear. BE VERY CAREFUL TO AVOID ANY/ALL MOVING PARTS!!.

You do need to have a very good understanding of how an engine works for this to make any sense to you (or any other part, such as an alternator, air-con compressor, etc). In fact, you need a mental picture of the inside of the engine so that you can: 1) put the screwdriver tip in the right place; and 2) understand what it is that you're listening to!

Either piston knock or its done a bearing. I wouldn't dare buy that, but I now know what to look for when buying a car.

Even my old engine that I replaced the other day didn't have a knock yet it was run so low on oil (not even reading on the dipstick at all) more than 20 times. haha

That engine doesn't right to me :shake: There's a serious knock of some kind, thats for sure.

And did I also hear right, it's a typical 2.5ltr motor for a '98 :huh:
I always thought the '98 had a 2.0ltr & that the 2.5ltr didn't appear until a few years later :bcool:
At least in Australia anyway.

Regards
Mr Turbo

That engine doesn't right to me :shake: There's a serious knock of some kind, thats for sure.

I always thought the '98 had a 2.0ltr & that the 2.5ltr didn't appear until a few years later :bcool:

Regards
Mr Turbo

yea other countries had the sf9 which is the 2.5 were we only had the sf5 which is the 2.0

yea other countries had the sf9 which is the 2.5 were we only had the sf5 which is the 2.0
You learn something new everyday.
So my mistake.

I thought I'd throw it out there anyway, just in case.

Regards
Mr Turbo

If you're new to boxer engines they all sound a bit noisy but that is very noisy. I thought is sounded like an old L series on the way out, not a new 2012 Foz. I would definitely be taking it back to the dealer!

Regards
Mr Turbo

In the US they had the 2.5l that we have in the 96-99 Outbacks, the quad cam one that does the head gaskets all the time.

While in the UK it is similar to us but they never changed to the 2.5l motor like we did. They still have a 2.0l in their new 2012 Foresters, even the turbo one is a 2.0l.

Bail on that one! That's definitely big end or main bearing issues.

Complete engine tear down to fix the issue. And it's not like you just buy new parts, you have to have things measured and maybe machined down depending on the condition of the internal parts. Not for the faint hearted - or the novice!

Or the other way to go is a known good replacement engine - easiest way to go other than purchasing a different unit.

Cheers

Bennie

PS: I love the way the dude on the video keeps saying "nice forester" even with all that noise! Maybe he was willing it not to throw one out the side while he made that video!

Guys on first page on video not my car
------------------------------
Today i was trying to catch a noise from iPhone (next time i will do it from good camera)
I moved iPhone from point to point and actually the noise best sound on 1:45-1:58 its like boom boom boom on background of all valves and bearing tickles and bells
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2Bt4Z_yrC8&feature=plcp"]IMG 0052 - YouTube[/ame]

Gidday Tempo

I don't like that "engine noise" at 2:02 ... :iconwink: :ebiggrin: :rotfl:

Most engines make noises when they are running.

Recording them with the kind of microphone that is used in mobile (cell) phones is probably not ideal. These microphones have both noise cancelling and sound enhancement technology employed. They are designed to reasonably accurately pick up voice directionally when used as a phone, with the microphone being placed at an acute angle to the mouth and lips, and several inches away. Not ideal for almost any other purpose, IMHO.

Depending on what your engine is doing, it will make all sorts of different noises. All the Forester 2.5L N/A engines since the MY06 model have variable valve timing (MY05 and before did not employ this technology - could account for differences between the torque curves of the two generations of engines?). What kinds of noises this introduces at idle and at rpm over 4000, I do not know. What I can say with reasonable certainty is that it will be different from an engine that does not utilise this technology!

If you are worried about your particular engine sound, take it to the Subaru dealer you bought it from and ask them: "Is this normal?"

Gidday Tempo
If you are worried about your particular engine sound, take it to the Subaru dealer you bought it from and ask them: "Is this normal?"
I did and i got answer from service reception lady (i asked for technichian but she said i know how boxer engine should sound) And she told me "its normal" I asked, do you hear that noise She said "Dont worry its normal sound for subaru engine I dont trust the dealer They will make everything to tell you "its normal" Even if engine starting from 5th time they will say:
" Its normal , finally its starts"
The only reason i open that thread its find out if that noise normal = ok
if not i will go to dealer and will take care about problem before it get worst
-----------------
One more point :
When i just start engine and waiting for 3-5 minutes on idle no noise
But i defeantly can hear the noise after 4-5 miles of driving and yes engine sound different there is still valve and all moving parts normal sounds but on background you hear this low noise (i will put better video later today)

G'day again Tempo

Firstly, tell the 'lovely' reception lady that you are sure she does, but that you are concerned, and would prefer to discuss this with a qualified mechanic ...

Secondly, document the time and date of every visit to the dealer, and make notes and sign them as to what you raised with them, and their response. If you are that p!ssed off with the dealer, keep a decent notebook in the car for recording this stuff, and make certain that they see you filling it in ... :iconwink: :lol: :rotfl: :poke:
I am somewhat expert in getting people who give me this sort of BS to see things properly. By that, I don't necessarily mean any kind of bullying tactics on my part, just getting them to turn their mind to their ethical and commercial responsibilities under the law.
It also doesn't mean that they have to agree with anything or everything I say; just that they give me a proper hearing and a proper explanation for their thoughts on the subject under discussion.

Thirdly, get the name of an expert Subaru mechanic in your area, and get him to check out your concerns. IF he finds anything of concern to him, get him to put it in writing, and present a copy of that document to the Subaru dealer. DO NOT give the dealer the original. ALWAYS keep a signed and dated copy of everything you give them.
A number of members here reside in Colorado, so seek them out and ask them for the name of a reputable independent mechanic near you.

Fourthly, if you are really of the opinion that you are being treated badly by the dealer, make an official complaint to Subaru America, detailing your concerns, with copies of relevant documents. Send this by registered post. DO NOT use email for this. Too easy for someone to just wipe it from their Inbox.

Hope some of this helps you.

Is this normal sound for that engine?
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqjTVScYxrU&feature=plcp"]fb25 engine noise - YouTube[/ame]

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Back