• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

My L series Wagon

Well, I thought I'd contribute a little. I put some UEC through my wagon and videoed it because I couldn't find anything on Youtube that involved an L series and UEC... So, here's my little amatuer video:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxLyEVtdGa4"]Subaru upper engine cleaner (Seafoam) in an L series wagon - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for that Species :)
I'm sure that this vid will come in quite useful for a great deal of people :)
Well done mate :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

what I did notice after a driving it around today, it started making that ticking noise that these subes made... I was really happy when I bought this because it didn't make that sound.. but after the UEC and driving it today it started.... :-/

Ok well I took a few photo's of my head unit install on my L wags. My bro is a glazier so the obvious choice of material was Aluminium because there is so much lying around the garage.

Anyway, first up... Stereo choice! I only realised until afterwards how this can help (a little) I accidentally bought one with the wiring harness plug recessed into the head unit, this gave me a little more clearance which is ALWAYS helpful here.
1.jpg

Next was to kind of measure up how much space we actually had to play with in there so after some precise measuring with my trusty eyeometer we decided to make some mounts that would screw into the factory mounting brackets and the security bracket thing that the head unit slips into. Also we decided to use the original cover plate with a little extra widening:
2.jpg

Just screwed it in with some self tappers:
3-1.jpg

With a few adjustments here and there the cover plate can slip on and off easily enough but it does stick out a bit and that bright metal is quite annoying:
4.jpg

So bending up some ally and spraying black to use it as a sleeve was a brilliantly simple idea.... (not mine haha)
5.jpg

so it looks neater now but i'm going to take that security bracket out and paint that black too
6.jpg

Oh and another thing... things can be messy back there and if you're a cheapskate like me and want to use some of the factory wiring for the front speakers, I found that both left and right wires were the EXACT same colour! There is nothing telling you which wire goes where so to figure out which is which I wired up the speakers in the doors and got a 9v battery. If touching the positive and negative with the stereo speaker wire makes it crackle you got it!
7.jpg

So that's it so far.... oh and btw I bought a 2nd hand head unit and it didn't come with that finishing sleeve that goes around the face of the head unit. that would have been handy. Anyway that was a lot easier than I expected.

Last edited:
Great job with the stereo, did you replace the speakers too?

I really like the video of the SUEC. Man I could just pull out the EJ20 in my Forester and swap it with an EA82. They just sound the best, I really love the ticking noise too :biggrin: That vid will come in really helpful for some people im sure :iconwink:

Cheers,
Taza

There was no replacing of speakers... there weren't any! All i had was the 2 speakers in the dash hahah but there were factory wires. I just used a set of coaxials that were not deep-coned and didn't have the tweeters sticking out past the speaker rolls. That ticking noise is quite loud now.... :-/

I don't like it... when I bought the car it had hardly any noise... I got told Castrol Magnatec reduces the noise a bit, so I changed it over today. hopefully I'll see some results soon.

Well, I went to take a video of the car running to show the noise and it sounds relatively normal (ie with some ticking) But on the video it definitely sounds louder than when I heard it from behind the camera, if you get what I mean... perhaps the camera's mic is more sensitive to that particular tone. Oh and it runs and drives well... just noisy. The internet says the oil pump seals might need replacing...

so it looks neater now but i'm going to take that security bracket out and paint that black too
6.jpg

Looks good mate. I've done mine a "little differently" if you like... I can't find a pic but I'm sure I've got one somewhere - it's a shaped block of wood and "is a temporary item" and has been for the last 6 years!

things can be messy back there and if you're a cheapskate like me and want to use some of the factory wiring for the front speakers, I found that both left and right wires were the EXACT same colour! There is nothing telling you which wire goes where so to figure out which is which I wired up the speakers in the doors and got a 9v battery. If touching the positive and negative with the stereo speaker wire makes it crackle you got it!

I always run new wiring. I found in my sister's L series that the original speakers had a common earth wire, not fun to work with! New wiring is a little more work but worth the effort!

I don't like it... when I bought the car it had hardly any noise... I got told Castrol Magnatec reduces the noise a bit, so I changed it over today. hopefully I'll see some results soon.

Run an oil flush, dump it, pull the oil pump and put a seal kit through it, including the replacement of the oil pressure valve spring - this makes sure you're getting full pressure in the system as this spring can go weak over time from what I've read on the USMB. While you're at it you could replace the rotors and shaft, it's VERY IMPORTANT to make sure you replace the shaft seal at the very least, most over look this as the pulley can be difficult to remove from the shaft.

Also a good time to replace the water pump and cam belts if you don't know the history of either - more money but worth the effort to save time later!

Well, I went to take a video of the car running to show the noise and it sounds relatively normal (ie with some ticking)

My L series some time ago - this lifter noise started randomly when I went to pick up an EJ engine and lasted no more than 2 weeks at which point all went quiet again!

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEExLcobeHs]Ruby Scoo's lifter tick punishment[/ame]

The internet says the oil pump seals might need replacing...

So do I (above)!

Cheers

Bennie

Run an oil flush, dump it, pull the oil pump and put a seal kit through it, including the replacement of the oil pressure valve spring - this makes sure you're getting full pressure in the system as this spring can go weak over time from what I've read on the USMB. While you're at it you could replace the rotors and shaft, it's VERY IMPORTANT to make sure you replace the shaft seal at the very least, most over look this as the pulley can be difficult to remove from the shaft.

Bennie

If I leave it with just the new oil for a while before going the oil pump seals it should be ok... right?

Also the tick in your EA82 stopped after two weeks? or were you talking about it's transformation into an EJ? ;)

If I leave it with just the new oil for a while before going the oil pump seals it should be ok... right?

Also the tick in your EA82 stopped after two weeks? or were you talking about it's transformation into an EJ? ;)

Yeah it'll be right, just annoying!

The tick for me stopped after two weeks, I still had this engine for another year before the EJ went in - I had to collect all the bits required.

I still had the one lifter that would never be quiet but at that point I could put up with that. The lifter tick was, as sad as it sounds, one of the main reasons for upgrading to the EJ. I've not looked back either :D

Cheers

Bennie

Oh I added a sub today, Still need to fix it in place so it doesn't slide when on "bumpy" roads but I also wanted to be able to quickly and safely remove it if I want stowage space for camping or hauling. so I hooked it up with plugs as well as mounting the amp on the box so all I have to unplug is the Control wire, Power and RCA and it is free from the stereo and the plugs left in the car are protected from earthing out.

102_1060.jpg

Still in need of cleaning it up a little

My L series some time ago - this lifter noise started randomly when I went to pick up an EJ engine and lasted no more than 2 weeks at which point all went quiet again!

So do I (above)!

Cheers

Bennie

So here I have a video of 2 different parts of the same day driving on DI they are chronological and if you listen carefully you can here that one of them has the ticking louder than the other... on the same day!
WARNING, epilepsy sufferers may be affected by this video :lol:

Started on my weber conversion... it came with a kit so no real dramas fitting it other than having to use the original spacer/insulator.

102_1115.jpg

The flash really makes it obvious that this is new.....

102_1112.jpg

Back