Reversing polarity: 2005 Outback OEM fog lights

Barry

Forum Member
I was thinking of reversing the polarity of my fog lights, to remove the problem of the +ive fog light body shorting out on the -ive bullbar.

Will this work or is it :rotfl:and will stuff the fog light globes?

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for it?

I cant imagine how it would hurt the globe. Only prob could be some tricky feedback circuit like an indicator light on the dash.

I had thought of you swapping the relay connectors but I just realized that wont work, you would have to swap the connectors at the light but I understand that wont be easy with the new bar. Bugger!

Reversing the polarity on the fog lights won't affect the globe- they're too dumb to know any better. Are these the factory lights? The fog lights on my WRX did not use the body as an earth, and all aftermarket lights I have seen are negative earth. I'm a bit confused about what your issue is as the fog light body should be -ve if anything. But if factory, it would probably not be earthed anyway and run both +ve and -ve wires. What Subaru routinely do is switch the negative, rather than switch the positive.

Reversing the polarity on the fog lights won't affect the globe- they're too dumb to know any better. Are these the factory lights? The fog lights on my WRX did not use the body as an earth, and all aftermarket lights I have seen are negative earth. I'm a bit confused about what your issue is as the fog light body should be -ve if anything. But if factory, it would probably not be earthed anyway and run both +ve and -ve wires. What Subaru routinely do is switch the negative, rather than switch the positive.

"Too dumb to know any better" :biggrin: ROFPMSL!!!

Yes, the factory lights.

The problem is that the +ive metal body is not an issue in the factory bumper, because it is enclosed in a plastic 'sleeve' mount, which forms part of the bumper skin. However, the mount on the SubaXtreme bar is a metal stirrup, which has zero clearance from the lamp body, so it shorts out and blows the fuse.

I figure that the easiest solution would be to reverse the polarity of the globes - providing they are dumb enough not to notice.

The alternative would be to try and slide a bit of 'ice cream container' plastic between the stirrup and the light.

BTW, does anyone have the details of the OEM globes for the Outback fog lights?

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for it?

I cant imagine how it would hurt the globe. Only prob could be some tricky feedback circuit like an indicator light on the dash.

I had thought of you swapping the relay connectors but I just realized that wont work, you would have to swap the connectors at the light but I understand that wont be easy with the new bar. Bugger!
Was thinking of cutting the wires and inserting a set of Anderson 'powerpole' connectors, with the wires on one set reversed.

10th and 11th of this month. Probably Mt Cole/Mt Buangor but thats not set in concrete by any means. If only a day trip is possible then more likely Wombat/Lerderderg due to their proximity to Melbs.

Back