SF Cabin Air Filter?

mickyg

Forum Member
I'm trying to find a cabin air filter for my 1998 forester, I didn't think i had one until I removed the filter housing from under the glove box and pulled out handful of dirt,sticks and leaves. Doesnt seem like its ever had one, So does anyone know where to get one?, Havn't called subaru yet. Went to supercheap but they were no help. As it didnt have a "cabin" filter for my model. and all they have is ryco.

Any suggestions would be good, even one that isnt meant for it but fits

Merry Christmas :) Everyone!

I've been wondering about this for a while, and must have a look at mine.

perhaps you could use some universal vacuum cleaner filter sheet? They are about A4 size, and come from shops like "Godfreys" who only sell cleaning stuff. I figure if it stops dust flying through the vacuum, it should work in an aircon, right?

Yeah might have to have a look at that, im having trouble finding the dimensions of the filter if i could get that then might be able to find one in sydney, you can buy them from the us but its going to be expensive for shipment.

Subaru sell them- and they are NOT cheap. Trade price is about $65. The price has risen substantially in recent times. Unless a little green frog can do better of course! I have one in my Impreza- although they don't list them for MY99 Imprezas. Since the dash is the same they fit. It is the only 2 piece polin filter they sell

Is your 98 Forrie dash essentially the same as my Impreza (below)?

TonyscarD.jpg

DCCDControls001.jpg

Are the ones from subaru decent, ie washable. dont really want to pay $65 for one then have to throw it away.

In terms of your dash layout, yeah its pretty much the same. by the looks of it. So no-one can suggest a aftermarket one??

No, they are throw aways similar to engine air filters. Depending on conditions, probably an annual event. You might get more- or less- time from it.

Yeah I thought that might of been the case, that's why I was hoping to get a decent after market one, apparently npn sell them but not sure if you can get them in Australia. And it's $15-20 from the states not sure what shipping is but probably not really worth it in the end.

Rally- you wouldnt roughly know the dimensions of the filter would you?. Have tried to find it. Online but no-one displays it.

Mickyg if you find a aftermarket one please post up the info. I want one for my 2001 Forester, same interior as Rally's Impreza also.

I checked mine a few months ago and there was about half a vacume full of beach sand plus leaves and other rubbish... no wonder it keeps coming through my aircon system :lol:

Hmmm will have to check mine...didnt even know I had one till now haha :surprised:

Rally, love your interior. The blue inserts look good & the black-on-white gauges are very distinctive. Aftermarket? Also like my sisters red dash in her Outback...very striking.

Noticed the steering wheel...no airbags?

The interior is all factory- and the car is equipped with dual front airbags. My car is a limited edition WRX- the Club Spec Evo 3. In England, it is known as the RB5- with the RB standing for Richard Burns. Essentially, the interior is the same as the rare STI 22B. That means the rear seats do not fold forward as they do on all other WRX's. All WRX's of that era shared the white faced instruments= so you could get some for your Forrie. They look nice but at dusk they are quite difficult to read and you actually have to dim the illumination to see them! The steering wheel is a MOMO. Yes, it is not a bad wheel but probably a bit big in diameter. Later STI wheels I believe a smaller, but I don't think they are MOMO. As for the red stitching on the steering wheel- I must confess I am not sure if that is standard on all WRX's or just the Club Spec Evo 3. Like you, I really like the interior and I remember how many STI owners did as well when they saw it!:raz: They don't put cloth inserts on the doors with later models, which makes them look cheap.

Hmmm will have to check mine...didnt even know I had one till now haha :surprised:

Rally, love your interior. The blue inserts look good & the black-on-white gauges are very distinctive. Aftermarket? Also like my sisters red dash in her Outback...very striking.

Noticed the steering wheel...no airbags?

I've washed mine (carefully) a few times. I suggest bite the bullet and initially buy one and then use the frame later and replace the material - or - I seem to recall a thread on making one over at SF.ORG so I'll have a look and get back to you..................

Here it is: https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/diy-forester-cabin-air-filter-84308/

Here’s another: https://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/mod-reusuable-electrostatic-cabin-air-7174.html?t=7174

More reading:

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/diy-2009-forester-cabin-filter-replacement-59650/

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/missing-cabin-air-filter-99793/

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/cabin-filter-cleaning-tips-94985/

Something i need to check out. I've been told the '99 in the States does not have cabin filters, so i've never even bothered pullin the glove box out...

You do not need to pull the glove box out. Look underneath the glove box. At the end closest to the seat (as opposed to the firewall) there are 2 Philips head screws maybe 30mm apart. Undo these screws and the front drops down. The other end is held in by a tongue and comes out easily. This applies to cars with the same dash as my Impreza- assuming LHD is mirror image of RHD. .

Hmmm...I found the filter box but no filter! previous owner must have removed it. Lots of debris in there though

Is the heat exchange thingy a heater or aircon? Looks very shiny like new.

Going off what is on the engine bay side- the heater hoses are in the middle of the car, the A/C hoses on the left hand side of the car, I'd say it is the A/C evaporator.

Back