Octane Booster

Dulagarl

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
EZ30R Forester
Transmission
Dual range manual
Currently in the H6 Forester I am using 98 ron or 95 when I can't get 98.

I am planning to head across the Nullarbor in March, with some side excursions thrown in. I am assuming that there will be palces where I can't get premium unleaded, and will have to use regular unleaded.

This raises the question of octane booster. Does anyone have experience with it? I noticed that many auto stores sell various brands. Does it work? Could I use it with regular unleaded and get the effect I want?

if it does work, which brand? What mixture? etc.

About the only one that works is Nulon @ about $21 per bottle (60L tank) I use it at the drags as a safety precaution but surely we aren't that primitive that we don't have at least 95ron going across by now and you should be getting close to 600km to a tank.

All the petrol companies list their sites and what fuel and services are available. Might be prudent to ring ahead though. When I was in Tassie, they listed 98 at Strahan, but when I got there they were out of 98. Fortunately I was in my Forrie and I did not need 98.

TroyXT has had experience with octane booster on his outback trips

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

About the only one that works is Nulon @ about $21 per bottle (60L tank) I use it at the drags as a safety precaution but surely we aren't that primitive that we don't have at least 95ron going across by now and you should be getting close to 600km to a tank.

Thanks I might chuck some in for when I can't get 98 or 95.
But the h6 does not get 600 per tank: more like 12 lt per 100 kms if driving fairly conservatively.:lildevil:

in WA you can check which servos have the fuel you want and can plan your trip
https://www.fuelwatch.wa.gov.au/fuelwatch/pages/home.jspx

maybe similar sites for other states?

Thanks. I'll make a list and also remember to bookmark that on the laptop.

I am planning to head across the Nullarbor in March, with some side excursions thrown in. I am assuming that there will be palces where I can't get premium unleaded, and will have to use regular unleaded.
Your assumption is wrong. There wouldn't be a fuel outlet on the Nullarbor crossing that doesn't have 95 and most will also have 98. And the cheapest of about 10 were at Eucla and Mundrabilla. Most are BP but not there.

Pretty sure that Warburton and others on the GCH are only selling OPAL now, so you will probably need octane booster if you're planning on getting fuel there.

Jon

Back