• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Lift questions

Burmonster

Forum Member
hi, i just bought a 92 L series, and wanted a bit more clearance, but im poor, and the car as other things that money needs 2 be spent on. i was after a easy to follow DIY lift kit. i have acess to a metal shop, but a step by step guide with lots of pics will help heaps :) i am after 2-4 inches of lift, wateva is the most cost/time effective.
thx

G'Day & Welcome Burmonster!

I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction.

Howdy and :welcome:Burmonster!!!

We have a DIY lift kit thread here, but it's only for the more current Subies.:sad: I don't recall anyone building their own for an L series, but hopefully someone can chime in with some helpful info.

Surely El_Freddo will be able to help here...

He's up in the snow at the moment but he should see this soon. He's got a lovely L series, RubyScoo, which stands tall on top of 2, maybe 3 inches of lift??

Cheers,
Pedro.

Burnmonster,

Welcome. Good to see another L-Series. I have a two inch lift, but it was an over the counter purchase, and fitted by a mechanic mate who is also a Subaru nut. He had it fitted in about 7-8 hours.

Unfortunately, the company is no longer around.

Beigewagon.

ok guys thanks for the replys.
it sounds like it might be better to save up for a while to get a kit.
any idea of companys in perth and the approx cost??
im also needing new tyres, and i figure i should go the next size up if i can. it seems like i have enough clearance to go bigger, but will bigger tyres fit on my stock rims, and will i have to regear or anything ( i used 2 have a jeep cherokee and bigger tyres throw out the gear ratios)

thx
burmonster

Jeff at Crossbred performance should be able to help you out for an over the counter kit - www.crossbredperformance.com - they also do rear diff protectors for $60 plus postage, one's on my list to get ;)

If you decide to make your own the DIY template for the front struts will be the same as your L's, use these for the front strut blocks with 7mm offset (towards engine) for every inch of lift.

Match the strut lift to the body lift size to keep your CV's happy. Raised springs will get you another inch of lift or so, it will also change your CV angle a little bit and you will lose an inch of down travel.

My lift is 3 inch blocks with 2 inch blocks for the gearbox mounts/radius rod plate. Goes well. I've got 14's with 27 inch rubber. Its a good combination with an EJ22 powerplant. Your speedo will be out by about 10km/h give or take afew kms. Get a cheap GPS and use this as your speedo. You will need to trim the guards a little but you'll work out what you need to do.

I was going to build my lift, have been talking about it for ages - but then got a sweet deal on a second hand package :D

You may find the EA very underpowered for the larger tyres. I'm currently running the standard tyre diametre due to my snow chains fitting this size of tyre.

You don't have to re-gear, it is rather difficult in a subaru - you have to split the gearbox to get to the front diff and sourcing an appropriate ring and pinion gear for an L series box is easier said than done. I don't know how but most people put up with the lack of power...

Cheers

Bennie

ok thx mate, if i have the stock rims how wide can i go on that rim?? i would like to minimise loss of power but get a wider tyre as i mainly do sand 4x4ing. if an inch or 2 bigger isnt to bad i would go a lil bigger, but i mainly want the width ( bigger profile would be good 2 get the better bag at low pressures). wat tyre would ppl recomend to get the widest tyre on a stock 13 inch rim and no lift(yet :p). i cant afford to get new rims and a lift atm, but i rly need new tyres.

Burmonster

I know people who use 185/70R13 with no probs. I dont know if 195 tyres would still fit without fouling.

Beigewagon

thx guys
i understand this barry, but wouldnt it better to have a wider tyre with the same profile, or bigger to maximise bag wthout risking a rolled tyre??
im pretty new 2 the 4x4 scene, and even newer to the subaru scene (i had a cherokee).
my old cherokee was lighter than most 4x4s, and i was told it would be better to air down lower than cruiser and patrol owners, because my tyres would bag less at say 18psi because of the less weight pushing down on the tyre.
first, is this true, and should i apply this to my suby?

Burmonster, I'm no expert on sand, but there are others here like Kevin & Mr Turbo who should be able to set you straight on airing down a Forrie and optimising thetyres for same.

Back