XT Forester and the beach

kerway

Forum Member
Hi,
Was just after a bit of info from Forester drivers. How does your Forester go on the beach. I currently have a 04 Suzuki Grand Vitara which I regularly take on the beach at Stockton near Newcastle NSW. It has a 40mm lift and is great on the beach but its my daily driver and has a bit of a harsh ride.
Question time.
I'm considering buying a new XT Forester Auto.
Whats the ride like? Do they go well on the beach? Is there any issues that I should know about with taking it offroad ( apart from the usual precautions )

I've previously had 2 Subarus '81 and '83 models. Both went well enough on the sand. My Dad has an '03 but hes only taken it on the beach a few times and says its goes okay.
Your help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Kerway
icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Kerway,

The XT on the beach is alot of fun. I have been up to Stockton a few times with it and haven't had a problem. Occasionaly I had a bit of an overheating problem but only going with the wind through thick sand and it seemed to be more of an issue after I fitted an aftermarket exhaust.

I have king springs that makes clearance a bit better and alloy sumpguard is a must. The new XTs have a bit more clearance which would be good too.

They have plenty of power and the auto is good on the sand. A transmission cooler would be a must though, even if not fitting a towbar, if you are going on the sand.

Also been up to Fraser and Moreton towing a Jayco Outback camper. It did it pretty well.

Troy.

As Troy says, the Foz will go well on sand - especially XT auto! We visit Stockton 2 to 3 times a year and have a ball.

Thanks for your advice. Now I just have to make the decision to spend the $45k or at least talk the wife into it. :cool:
May have to tell her I'm buying it for her and then inadvertently forget:lildevil:

Thanks
kerway

check out my videos in the trip report from double island point. If driven correctly the forester will eat the sand up :)

I agree the Forrester does pretty good in the sand. Now lets throw in deep sand and while we're at it add ruts to the mix.

Although my stock belly pan survived. I have replaced it with a 3/16" thick Primitive Racing one. The plastic one sure showed signs of wear. On the other hand those 2 little plastic frame protectors too the right and left of the rear of the belly pan did not fair so well. They have been folded back on them selves.

What the heck are they for any how? Do I need to worry about replacing them?

Picture this .......I'm driving the beach from South Padre Island (TX) to the Mansfield cut most is just fine until the dreaded rutted deep sand. I see it coming and while I'm keeping my momentum up slamming from right to left because of the ruts I look in my review mirror and see my 3 and 4 year olds heads doing the same thing, slamming from right to left. Now I'm holding on to the wheel to keep my body from doing the slamming thing and I can't help but bust a gut laughing because the kids are asleep......through the whole stretch.

Of course had to turn around and do the whole thing again, one way in one way out. They never woke up:lol:

:lol: It's amazing what kids can sleep through!

:lol: It's amazing what kids can sleep through!
It sure is. :lol:

On the other hand those 2 little plastic frame protectors too the right and left of the rear of the belly pan did not fair so well. They have been folded back on them selves.

What the heck are they for any how? Do I need to worry about replacing them?
There purpose is beyond me. :shrug:
I ended up taking mine off about 3 years ago & in that time I've had no ill effects with my Forry (05 XT)

Regards
Mr Turbo

Back