Yokohama A/T-S

silver

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual
After much deliberation i have decided not to go with Bridgestone tyres as the 693 215/65/16 is unique to the OZ market and will be unlikely to be manufactured after the Bridgestone factory closes next year.
So i am thinking about the Yokohama A/T-S and know a few of you use them and hoping you can post your views on this tyre.
eg. how long have you been using them, what sort of driving,likes,dislikes,wet performance,sidewalls etc.
At this stage i only want to know about this tyre and not other suggestions.
Thanks.:)

Had mine fitted in April this year, in 215/60R16 (keeping it legal). My original thoughts are here: https://offroadsubarus.com/showpost.php?p=6667&postcount=11

Having now put over 10000 km on them:

• dry bitumen grip (stopping, cornering) not quite as good as previous road tyres (Pirelli P6) but comparable to Yoko G900 originals
  • wet bitumen grip similar to P6 and G900
  • grip on wet or dry gravel is outstanding even without deflating, better than either the P6 or G900
  • unlike P6 and G900, no cuts at all despite driving on sharp chipped gravel and some trail driving
  • wearing fairly evenly across tread, although by slightly more at the front (approx 1mm) compared to rear (approx 0.5mm) - I have mine inflated to 35psi for on road driving

There is a thread about them here Feedback Yoko Geolander 16" ATS (ATR) Tyres
However here is my 2 cents worth.

I put a set of AT/S (215/65/16) on my Forry just over a year ago (Oct 08) & have done about 13K on them & am still very happy with them. :)
I said this back in April of this year....
I currently have a set of the Yokohama Geolander ATS tyres (215/65/16) on my Forry & so far I am very happy with them. And believe you me, a lot of those have been on really rough terrain.

Will I buy them again....most probably yes.
But that just depends on what is around & available when it comes time to have them replaced.
....& I still stand by that today :)

I'll agree with what simxs said also.

*In the dry they handle well, however they do take a little longer to stop (compared to AT+II)
*In the wet though they do stop a lot better (again when compared to AT+II & Yoko G900 originals)
*Offroad they are great all round IE: gravel, dirt, wet & dry, and fairly good in mud.
*The side walls have stood up very well with no punctures & no cuts so far. :ebiggrin:
*Sound wize they tend to growl instead of squeal when cornering.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Sounds pretty good so far. Although i need them to be pretty decent on road, as i will towing a tinny, i will not be racing around the place, but i do need some decent capability off road.
The usual compromise situation.
Something new might turn up in the coming months but these are sounding good. I got a 'rough' price today of $230. How does that sound?

I have them in 216/65/16. Love them. Nice strong tyre and very grippy off road, can feel the tread roll under on bitumen quite a lot, but thats expected. Sidewalls are very firm, i have to let them down 4psi more then the roadies for the sand otherwise they just churn, but then they are completely unstoppable.

I'm on my second set having got anout 55,000 km on the first and I am very happy with them. I have done a number of club trips and also trips to the Pilbara and across the Anne Beadelll Hwy/Oodnadatta track/Simpson Desert/Birdsville track/Flinders ranges which are very tough on tyres. I got one slow leak on the Anne Beadell Hwy and that's it.

cheers

From what you're wanting to do with them, I think they are a fantastic choice! I seriously considered them, but ended up with the AT2 as on road ability wasn't really a concern for me and I wanted the increased offroad performance. Enjoy the new rubber!

Sounds fairly positive. Thanks.
My plan at the moment is something like this.
I will change the hubs on my boat trailer to take the same wheels as the car. The car and the boat will all be steel wheels and i will leave the alloys at my mates place. I'll mount an extra spare on the trailer fitted with the same tyre as the car has, say, Yoko 215/65/16 A/T-S but the trailer will have new Bridgestone 693 215/65/16s fitted. Money comes into this!! The spare in the car will be the original Yoko G900 at 215/60/16.
If i get 1 flat i will use the spare on the trailer and if i get 2 i can swap the tyre from the trailer with the OEM spare and that way keep the tyres on the car the same size.
Just need to find 3 extra steel wheels.

Had mine (225/70 15's) for about a year.
Still say they're the best compromise between a road and off road tire and the absolute best tire I've ever had on the road in the rain.

Would buy again.

(Best price I got back in April was $225 each.)
Tire must be expensive down under,mine cost me $89 each.

I bought mine a month ago for $225 also (65 profile). I found the genuine yokohama dealers the cheapest, as they can give the best discounts.

I have had mine on an H6 Outback for a month and am happy so far. First trip was Perth to Gnaraloo.

Quiet on highway and excellent on the gravel roads. Did a short section of sand with Tyres at 20psi because that is the pressure I ran them for the week at Gnaraloo, they were OK but need to go lower. I went for 235/60/16 which are a little more pricey $280 fitted etc but the extra width looks good to me!

Should mention I have to carry spare at 10psi and spray the wheel well with silicone to help squish it in!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds fairly positive. Thanks.
My plan at the moment is something like this.
I will change the hubs on my boat trailer to take the same wheels as the car.

I did the same thing on my camper trailer. What I did find however, was that I didn't take into account the offset of my forester wheels. I had to get another axle around 3 inches longer. If you go direct to the axle manufacturer it's a lot cheaper than getting it from a trailer retailer.

For my 2 cents worth on the Geolanders, I have them and have been very impressed with them on the sand and in the bush. There is little difference on the road to other tyres I've had.

IanC

I got mine 215/60/16 fitted 4 months ago and would have to agree with Mr Turbo & SimXS to their behaviour. I cant comment on how they feel in the sand yet but they dispel water very well and feel very grippy in the mud and through any excess built up mud from the blocky lugs very quickly ready to bite again.

We went to the snows as well are whilst the roads were clear and dry when we entered the National Park (Thredbo) it snowed about 150mm on the last night and they performed confidentely and were grippy. As we left Thredbo Valley that morning to head home we decided to go down the turn off to check out the Thredbo river camp are which has a steep gravel access road which was now semi icy and snowed over with slushly sections.

There was a guy in his Skoda Octavia Scout who couldnt make the climb back up to the main road and was their for over an hour...needless to say he was really pleased to see someone drive past. Nice guy but didnt have a clue about H/T or A/T tyres and the limitations of his car. Told me he thought it would go anywhere because the badge on the console/gearlever said 4x4...lol

Anyway I hooked him up to my snatch and pulled him out of their and onto the main road....first thing he said is I should have bought a Subaru. My only regret is that I was out of memory on my Camera as I used it up the day before with pics and mpegs.

Sorry getting back to the tyres I paid $213 fitted & balanced from Bob Jane Hornsby and they do a alignment free of charge at 5000Km.

Also Yokohama provide a free Nationwide TYRE PROTECTION WARRANTY on or offroad road where they replace the tyre free of charge within 25% of the original tread wear then pro-rata the rest to 50% with some costs to the owner. Dealer to complete on fitting and you keep the remaining paperwork section.

Overall a great tyre and I would recommend it if you plan on going offraod.

G'day Silver,

I ended up getting some after using up the set of tyres I got from you a while back. Got 6 215/65/16, so far so good. The foz managed to churn through some soft sand (with some stalling and clutch murder) where a mate bogged his patrol.

I haven't done anything to challenging since puting them on however they are great on gravel and show a minor loss of performance and increase in noise on the road. But definitely worth it for the extra height and grip. Wear seems pretty good so far.

Punctured my first one today. Ran over a nail so no fault of the tyre.

Cheers

Finally replaced my Michelin Synchrone tyres with the Yokohama GO13 AT-S (215/60 16). Had an excellent run with the Michelins, 60,000km and they still had a bit of life left if just used for bitumen, but with the snow and muddy backroads now, they were getting a bit too interesting.

The AT-S tyres have a slightly more aggressive pattern - feel fine so far, quite directional despite being new, and not noisy at all. Will report how they go.

1500km report

Well, racked up 1,500km, including a snowtrip (managed to go up on the first decent seasonal dump of snow, mix of wet snow base and semi-dry snow on top, depth of about 15-20cm).

I'm quite impressed with their snow performance - able to cut through slush, but will still sit on top of dry snow, unless you spin the wheels (on a hill or deep snow) in which case they seem to unclog pretty well and will dig through to the road surface. Also seemed good on some sections of sheet ice which I managed to find a few nights later.

General noise levels good, but obviously a bit noisier than a H/T pattern. Handling good, although initial turn-in/bite when cornering is a bit slow, but once in a corner they seem fine for "normal" driving :rolleyessarcastic:.

Attachments

• IMG_1271.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1273.jpg
    IMG_1273.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1265.jpg
    IMG_1265.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 20
hi all, just fitted AT/S 215/70/15's to my Forester and after having had 31's on my Maverick previously am expecting good things from them. will be giving them a dirt trial soon, up around Eildon.

Back